One of the oldest sayings in the writing profession is 'write what you know'. In certain ways, this is easier said than done. While aspects of a writer's personality and life experience show in every piece they write, it is arguably more difficult to show the truly important things to a reader.
This is the problem I've been thinking about lately. I think that if I could find a way to dig deep, and express some of my deeper feelings and personal experiences through my fiction, I could create something much more important and meaningful than my past works.
Sadly, this is not an easy task. Honesty of this magnitude takes some serious courage, and I'm not sure how to put that sort of thing onto a page. As well, there is the stigma of the fiction writer: everything I write has the potential to be scrutinized by critics, and the public at large. The balance between autobiographical and pure fictional content has to be kept in place, and I imagine it's very difficult to maintain. While there are aspects of myself and my experiences I would like to use for my stories, I don't want people to point fingers and do an amateur psychoanalysis on me. These sort of feelings are probably somewhat irrational, but the idea does bother me.
I think perhaps I'll find a way to write with the honesty I want to when I begin my next project. In just over a month's time, I will be joining several fellow writers in the marathon writing session known as NaNoWriMo. It's my first time doing this, and I hope that I can maintain my sanity while still creating some quality work.
Everyone's a critic, but the most important person to write for is yourself. Yes, you keep the audience in mind, but you must keep yourself on the frontlines. Everybody doesn't love what I love, but I'm always making something that I want to see, read, etc.., and I just hope others who choose to come along for the ride, enjoy it as much as I enjoyed creating it, and if they don't, then it wasn't for them.
ReplyDelete