Monday, August 27, 2012

The Troubled Storyteller, Vol. 1

I fear that I'm losing my ability to write.  I refuse to call this writer's block in the traditional sense: I still have the desire in my mind, but it's been relegated to creating pretty pictures in my head, and I worry that these potentially brilliant ideas of mine will never become more than ideas.  Of course, I am the one at fault in this.  Some professionals say that one should write every day in order to improve, but I haven't written anything substantial in months.  My mind buzzes with ideas, and yet I can't bring myself to make the words to describe them!  I find myself more attracted to electronic distractions, or begin to think that I could never possibly get it right, and will only mangle the great idea sitting inside my head.   Furthermore, the idea of becoming a professional writer seems to be slowly slipping out of my reach, and I wonder if it's worth chasing this (seemingly) impossible dream, like some sort of twentysomething Don Quixote.
Another part of my frustration stems from my own loneliness and lack of social life.  I feel as though I'm getting older and older without accomplishing anything.  Because of this, and other various reasons, I find myself emotionally drained at times, and this does nothing for my inspiration.  I feel as if having someone else around me would help to energize my spirits, and motivate me to do what I'm meant to do.  Of course, this idea could be purely wishful thinking.  As writers, all we truly have is ourselves.
While these things frustrate me, I believe that I will break out of this rut at some point.  Hopefully that time comes sooner rather than later.  Until then, I will keep making story notes until those stories get written.

5 comments:

  1. Keep at it mate. Inspiration comes in many forms, keep an open mind. You feel frustrated, write about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds as though you're not suffering from a lack of inspiration...instead, it seems to be a lack of execution. I often have the same problems when I write, whether it's for creativity or research. I turn over all of the possibilities in my mind without ever putting it down on paper...but in those situations I've heard that it's best to just free-write. Dump everything on paper while you can, then go back and edit it later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely keep your chin up! I know the feelings you're describing here quite well. You'll pull through- writers can never escape the writing urges for tooooo long, haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out of curiosity, do you plan on doing NaNoWriMo this year? I know you mentioned having a better idea for this 2012 year, but was wondering if you actually plan on sticking out for it. At least you have ideas in your head...the motivation will come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will be for sure! Hopefully I can finish this time around.

      Delete