Saturday, February 9, 2013

Chipping Away

To those of you who may have noticed my absence:  I am currently working on editing Jumpsuit and becoming weird and reclusive.  What I hadn't anticipated is that the editing process is time consuming, and there's little to say about the act itself, thus my lack of anything interesting to say here.  However, I will include a few notes on editing from the professionals, so as not to waste your time entirely.

“The main thing I try to do is write as clearly as I can. I rewrite a good deal to make it clear.” - E.B. White

"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between fire and the firefly." - Mark Twain

"It wasn't by accident that the Gettysburg address was so short.  The laws of prose writing are as immutable as those of flight, of mathematics, of physics." - Ernest Hemingway

“Kill your darlings, kill your darlings, even when it breaks your egocentric little scribbler’s heart, kill your darlings.” - Stephen King

“Editing might be a bloody trade, but knives aren’t the exclusive property of butchers. Surgeons use them too.” - Blake Morrison
 

No comments:

Post a Comment