Well, it's finally December 1st, and it's all over.
I wish I could tell you all the tale of my triumph in writing 50,000 words in a month, but sadly, I did not. Instead, I ran straight into a creative brick wall and essentially stopped writing. This may or may not have something to do with the fact that real life kind of happened towards the end, and left me in a serious emotional muddle. (for those of you who dare, you can read all about that here)
There were times when it was brutal. I had days when it was a struggle to even write 500 words. I had days when I wanted to kill all of my characters, just so something would happen. Like many others have experienced before me, I went through the crazy love/hate relationship that comes from constant writing.
But at the same time, this experience has taught me a whole hell of a lot about what it takes to be a real writer. I've learned that if I want to, there is more than enough time in the day for me to write. I've learned that some creative blockage can be pushed past by the simple act of writing more. I've learned not to worry so much about what a first draft looks like. I can say without a doubt that this experience has made me a better writer.
In total, I wrote 39,678 words during November. This is more than I have ever written before, and I'm proud of that. Even though I dislike the work as it is, I think I'll dig it up again, perhaps in the spring, and see if I can finish the thing, and maybe even make it into something better. It was a wild experience, and I'm actually sort of excited to do it again next year. I've actually already got an idea I'm saving for the occasion! Congratulations to my writing buddies who made it this time around (you know who you are). I'm glad that I served as a motivator and inspiration for you, even if I didn't finish myself. To the rest of you who took part, don't feel bad if you didn't finish. I don't, and you shouldn't either. Okay, so maybe I do feel a little bad about it, but that's not the point I'm trying to make. Even if it was only a few thousand words, you sat yourself down, and wrote something that only you could have written, and that's a really powerful and special thing. Chances are, you learned something about the writing process in doing so, and there is definitely value in that. Maybe someday you can come back to it and finish that story, and you can fill it with your awesomeness, and you will become rich and famous because of that story!
So, what do you say gang? You all in for next year? I know I will be!
No comments:
Post a Comment